Sunday, April 7, 2013

Human Dynamics


This blog is normally devoted to subjects related to music and ways it can be used to benefit people. This a little bit of a diversion into the world of public art.  The installation of public art is a lot like the public performance of music, except it has greater sustainability. 

Dayton has just installed a new sculpture called "Fluid Dynamics."  It's all about air and wind and water and hydraulics and aerodynamics and movement and flow.  You can read more about it  here  and here

Here is a photo of me interacting with Dayton's newest public sculpture.




I call the photo Human Dynamics because it adds the dimension of the human spirit to the culture.  In many cultures and languages, the concepts of breath, spirit and wind are closely tied together.  For me, it is the human spirit that is the most dynamic and fluid force of all.  The history of Dayton, the invention of flight, the construction of canals, are all examples what happens when the human dynamic interacts with natural dynamics. 

On an aesthetic note.  I was prepared to like everything about the sculpture except the color.  Before I went to see it, I thought it should have been either a more natural or neutral color related to earth, stone or wood.  I would have settled for it to blend in with urban tones of black or gray, rust or steel.  The yellow seemed to be too much.  But then I went to see it.  When I viewed it from the north, I could see the bright colors of the Neon Theatre behind it.  When I viewed it from the south, it had a garden background in which were sprouting...daffodils.  I am forced to somewhat grudgingly concur with the choice of color.  Well done.


No comments:

Post a Comment