Saturday, June 2, 2012

Audience Participation

Last night I went to a music recital/art show opening at Wasson Music Center and Synesthesia Gallery.  The musician was a talented pianist named Kareem Powell from Miamisburg, OH.  The featured visual artist was his brother.  His sister, a talented singer/pianist in her own right, was there.  The parents of this talented family were also in the audience.  Kareem had been playing for about an hour and I sensed he was at a transition point.  He looked like he was thinking about what to play next, so I asked him if I could try a little bit of improvisation.  He said yes, but he looked a little nervous.  I asked the audience to name a significant event.  Someone said "Graduation."  I turned to Kareem and said, "Close your eyes and think about how you are going to play this."  Then I turned back to the audience and asked them to describe a graduation in three words.  They responded with "exciting," "too long", and "sad."  I looked back at Kareem and said, "Okay, play it."

Kareem paused for just a few seconds , then started to play.  He improvised an arrangement of Pomp and Circumstances, but brilliantly played it in a minor key.  I wouldn't have tried this with just anyone, but I knew Kareem had the chops to pull it off.

My purpose was to explore what would happen if the level of audience participation in the musical event was increased.  The result was the performance of a new musical work that neither the artist nor the audience would have come up with on their own.  I felt that the dynamics of the event were also hanged.  The rest of the evening took on the feel of a family sharing music in their own living room.  There was conversation before and after each song.  Requests were made and performed.  Kareem and his sister began using phrases like, "you know what we ought to do" and "let's try this."  You would have to survey the audience to determine if the event was improved, but the increased audience particpation definitely changed it.  I think it made it more enjoyable for everyone that was there.


2 comments:

  1. Some may think that this idea is a musical version of "Whose Line is it Anyway?." But the real inspiration for it came from watching the Mac Davis Show which aired from 1974-1976. Mac would take suggestions from the audience and then compose a song on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the interest of full disclosure, I must also admit that I also gave candy that was wrapped in cellophane to children DURING the performance. The sound of crinkling candy wrappers did not enhance the performance at all.

    ReplyDelete